Photo by Curry Mendes
With more then a twenty five-year track-record as a successful feature Film Producer and Screenwriter, Stacy Codikow has turned her considerable experience and energy toward giving back to the independent film community. In 2001, Codikow retired from her production company to create the internationally recognized non-profit Film Production Company and Educational Organization, POWER UP – the Professional Organization of Women in Entertainment Reaching Up. POWER UP's mission is to promote the visibility and integration of women and the GLBTQ community in entertainment, the arts and all forms of media while “challenging perception through film.” This is one of POWER UP's greatest accomplishments and gifts.
Serving as Executive Director for POWER UP since its inception, Codikow has tirelessly run the corporation as a full-time volunteer and its biggest financial supporter. Lending her skills, leadership, resources, time and talent, Codikow has helped to educate, nurture and promote some of the best & brightest gay women succeeding in the entertainment business today.
Codikow has executive produced all 15 multi award winning films made by POWER UP, including the wildly popular D.E.B.S. and ITTY BITTY TITTY COMMITTEE and “GIRLTRASH: All Night Long.” Codikow has birthed, fostered, fueled and financially sponsored many members dreams and careers through POWER UP's various programs & films.
Elle Magazine named Codikow as one of the Hollywood Power Women for being a ‘do-gooder.” Codikow has been named on Curve Magazine's list of the “10 Powerful Lesbians in Film & TV;” Go NYC Magazine's list of the “100 Gay Women We Love‚” and Afterellen.com's list of “Top 13 Power Lesbians in Entertainment.”
Codikow is a Los Angeles native and graduate of USC's Film School. She made her home in the Hollywood Hills until moving to Palm Springs in 2012.
Girl Power! Photo by Stranger in a bar.
Stacy says “PS I love you because…”
- …we are gonna film a movie here. The city itself is alive and a beautiful place for sex, romance and intrigue, the setting for our 16th film, a thriller “Die Angelo, Die”. It lends itself to be captured in all its glory and we will do that with the support of local residents and friends.
- …you are playful. The residents and visitors are always up for a good time. They are friendly and outgoing, and an evening out often turns into a wonderful adventure.
- …i have found really good food out here. When they get it right, it is right. Some places that never miss for me are; dish creative cuisine, L'Atelier Café, Bootlegger Tiki and Tyler’s Burgers. Plus the service is, and servers are, super nice.
- …you are beautiful. The weather, the mountains, the mid century modern, the sky, they are all amazing to see. Everyday I am mesmerized by your beauty. I feel like I am living in a post card.
- …this is a truly relaxing lifestyle. Activities are abundant and accessible. I love to hang out in the pool and enjoy the “vacation” lifestyle this city has to offer. In a weird way PS reminds me of college.
Codikow concluded, “It takes money and motivation to make a film happen. Today, more than ever before, it is much easier to physically make films. There is so much access to professional equipment and products that can facilitate the production and completion of films. The hard part, as always, is coming up with, and executing, a GREAT idea. POWER UP has that idea in “Die Angelo, Die”. Please join us to make this film a reality.”
Click here to donate in support of Die Angelo, Die, or copy and paste this link: https://fs19.formsite.com/cynematik/DonationDieAngeloDie/
Stacy, I've known you for about 15 years, and I'm thrilled to have been the first journalist to interview you about POWER Up when it launched. Can't wait to report the adventures from the set of Die Angelo, Die. Congrats on all you've done and keep doing! Muah!
Want to be featured in the “PS I l love you because…” column?
To be considered, email me (Nicholas Snow, SnowbizNow@gmail.com) your top five answers (they can be short or long) to the statement, “PS I love you because…” and/or “PS I love you because I enjoy…”, along with two or three biographical paragraphs. Also, send some photos of things you love about the area including, ideally, you doing something you love in the area. Your submission does not guarantee publication. Thanks!