by Lincoln Moore, Owner of GYMGUYZ Palm Springs
The amount of online advice on how to lose weight is astounding and overwhelming. For all the news articles on weight loss how-to, the hard truth is that there is no easy way to lose weight; and, as you get older, it can become even harder to reach those goals. So, out of all the noise online, here’s some tips to help you accomplish your weight loss goals:
- Forget a definitive timeline. “I want to lose 20lbs by July 1st”— sounds great. But that is in 2 months, and not practical. Losing 10lbs a month is excessive and dangerous. Set your goal to lose 1-2lbs per week (2lbs is an aggressive goal). Set a goal and work towards that and not a timeline.
- Have a serious reality check. Take inventory of what you actually consume in a day— the good and the bad. Y-O-U are responsible for your success and you may be sabotaging it by poor eating habits.
- Get moving. It’s amazing how much time we spend sitting (whether at our desk or in our cars) and the truth is that sitting is unhealthy. Many health issues are linked to a highly sedentary lifestyle. So, even if it’s 5, 10, 20 minutes— do it! Every effort counts.
- Find your motivation. The last thing anyone wants to do on a hot-like-an-oven afternoon in Palm Springs is to exercise, but do it. You will feel amazing and be glad that you pushed yourself.
- Cardio, cardio, cardio: the key to losing weight more quickly is getting your heart rate elevated a few times a week with intense cardio. How long should you go for? The goal is to get moving and keep increasing intensity. Cardio will be your best ally in accomplishing your fitness goals.
- Don’t over weigh yourself. When you first start losing weight, hopping a scale might be exciting, but there are times when you may see no change or a gain- which might send you down a negative, counter-productive spiral. Stick to weekly weigh-ins at the same time.
- Water! This shouldn’t be new to you. Drink up!
- Incorporate weights. Strength-training does wonders for your metabolism. Don’t be afraid of kettlebells, dumbbells and other “heavy” items— they will help you!
- If you’re new at this, consult a professional. The best way to get on track with your fitness goals is to work with a professional. There is a chance of injury if you’ve never seriously exercised before and your improper form may also slow down your progress. Whether you’re looking for one-on-one personal training or small group training classes, GYMGUYZ has a solution for your fitness goals.
It all comes down to dedication, moderation and enthusiasm. We all have our off, cheat, and I don’t want to work out days— but it’s all about pushing through to ultimately reach your goal and improve your health. You’ve got one life to live, make the most of it!