The I Do’s and I Don’ts of Getting Married In Palm Springs

Married in Palm Springs is honored to be your one-stop destination for LGBT weddings in the Coachella Valley!  Yahooooey!

Since 2013, when the Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, the US grants legally-married, same-sex couples equal recognition under federal law…  and Palm Springs is the perfect place to get married.. 
Applying for a License
It’s a piece of cake (wedding cake, specifically) to get married in Palm Springs. The marriage license however, must be issued at the Riverside County Clerk’s Office, in Palm Desert. 

The Clerk’s office grants public, civil and confidential marriage licenses Monday-Friday (excluding holidays) from 8am-4:30pm. Appointments are not required to obtain public marriage licenses, however it’s recommended that couples go online to file or print and fill out an application ahead of time. 

Appointments ARE REQUIRED for a civil ceremony at the courthouse, call: (760) 863-7490. Licenses are valid for 90 days, and can be used in any county in the State of California.  Out of state licenses are not honored in the state of California. Again, no matter where you are coming from, you must get a California license in order to get married within the state. 

To obtain a marriage license, you must meet the following requirements: 

  • Both parties must be at least 18 years of age.
  • If one or both parties are under 18,  a court order for the minor(s), including emancipated minors, must be obtained before a license can be issued. The minors must bring the original court order.
  • Minors are not eligible for a confidential marriage license. (Family Code Section 500).
  • Both parties must come in together to obtain the license.
  • Both parties must present a valid form of government issued I.D. like a driver’s license, Military I.D, Green Card, Naturalization Certificate, or Passport.
  • If either party has been divorced or has dissolved a Domestic Partnership within 90 days of the issuance of the marriage license, a copy of the final dissolution is required. The court will make a copy of the decree of dissolution. The divorce paperwork does not need to be certified. A copy of a Minute Order is not acceptable.

The fee for a public marriage license is $90.00 
The fee for a civil ceremony is $75.00
Rings are available for purchase; price range is from $16.20 to $21.60 

Your civil ceremony can be performed the same day you get your marriage license, provided you have an appointment. 

You must provide at least one witness for the marriage ceremony. All marriage ceremony services must be paid in advance. 

Payment is required upon scheduling of appointment and is non-refundable.

Confidential Marriage Licenses may be issued anywhere in California.
To get a confidential marriage license you must meet the requirements for a Public marriage license, AS WELL AS the following requirements: 

Both parties must swear in writing that they have already been living together.

Minors are not eligible for confidential marriages.

Once a confidential marriage license is issued, the ceremony must be performed within the State of California within 90 days from the issuance of the marriage license.
Your civil ceremony may be performed the same day you obtain your marriage license provided you have an appointment. Apply online for a Confidential marriage license or print the application.
The fee for a confidential marriage license is $100.00 
PLEASE NOTE: The office of the Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder strongly advises that a Public marriage license be issued except in those instances where the confidentiality of the marriage date is important. It has been our experience that complications frequently arise when copies are requested and can only be issued to the married couple.
When a confidential license is issued, the marriage record will remain confidential. ONLY the couple may obtain copies of the certificate, except by order of the Superior Court. 
For more information on applying for a license, or to print a Marriage License Application, visit the Riverside County Clerk's Office.
Riverside County Administrative Center
38686 El Cerrito Road
Palm Desert, CA, 92211
(760) 863-8732
Marriage licenses are not issued at Palm Springs City Hall, however, the Mayor and City Council are available for marriage ceremonies. To make an appointment to be married by one of them you must have a license issued by riverside or any other county in California… then, please call (760) 323-8200 for an appointment.