It’s Christmas weekend in Palm Springs and the weather is not cooperating for a white or sunny one. No matter: we’re here to warm the cockles of your heart with holiday music and a special “Ross Mathews Radio Show” on Christmas Day at 10 a.m. on KGAY 106.5. “Helping others is the best gift ever”, according to DJ Galaxy. And he’ll be helping distribute breakfast Saturday at Oscar’s, along with morning host John Taylor and myself from 8-10 a.m. We’ll be broadcasting live, so tune in as you open your presents.
Happy holidays from the entire team to you and yours!
Brad Fuhr, your Gay Desert Guide & KGAY 106.5 Palm Springs
P.S. If you’re not getting the weekly “Oasis Insiders” newsletter, please sign up today so we can stay in touch.
Christmas Saturday: Live Broadcast from Oscar’s plus Ross Mathews on KGAY!
Ross Mathews continues on KGAY 106.5 and he’s back in the Coachella Valley after a break from taping The Drew Barrymore Show. He has a special holiday show set to air Saturday at 10:00 a.m. That follows a live broadcast by KGAY morning host John Taylor and members of our team will be at Oscar’s for the annual Christmas morning breakfast for the community – free of charge – from 8:00–11:00 a.m.
Saturdays with Ross Mathews is on KGAY 106.5, on the FM dial in the Coachella Valley and streaming worldwide online! Brought to you by the John White Real Estate Group. Ask your smart speaker to “Play K-G-A-Y Palm Springs.”
🎄 Tune in to KGAY for special Christmas music programming all day December 24 & 25! 🎁
‘This Way Out’ Sundays on KGAY
“This Way Out,” the internationally distributed weekly LGBTQ radio program, airs every Sunday at 6:30 a.m. on KGAY 106.5. This award-winning half-hour magazine-style program features a summary of some of the major news events in or affecting the queer community (NewsWrap), in-depth coverage of major events, interviews with key queer figures, plus music, literature and entertainment news. Learn more at thiswayout.org and tune in on KGAY 106.5, Sunday mornings!
Ross Mathews Presents Dragtastic Bubbly Brunch at the Bourbon Room
Ross Matthews presents Dragtastic Bubbly Brunch at the Bourbon Room in Los Angeles on Sunday, December 26 at Noon. Get into the holiday spirit while top-notch queens Sasha Colby, Jasmine Masters & Kornbread Jete’ give you a reason to smile for a couple of hours. A great drag brunch can change your entire attitude. Come find out for yourself! Get tickets
Western X-Mas Holiday Bear Retreat
CCBC Resort and Western Xposure present a Western X-Mas Holiday Bear Event from Thursday, December 23–Sunday, December 26. This new holiday tradition is a home for the holidays for everyone needing one, whether you have nowhere to go, too many places to go, or just need a year off. Celebrate with your chosen family as you hang naked by the pool, hot tubs, and steam room. Pool parties with great music, Sexy Santa Bar Night at the Barracks, plus a Christmas Potluck, White Elephant Gift Exchange, and competition for best decorated room round out the special planned activities. Get tickets
Wildlights at The Living Desert
WildLights is celebrating 29 years dazzling guests by transforming The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens into a sparkling winter wonderland, recognized in the Top 5 Best Zoo Lights by USA Today. Come to this festive annual tradition and marvel at more than a million colorful, sparkling holiday lights on the following remaining evenings: December 24–30 (Closed Christmas Day). WildLights guests will encounter a herd of life-size, luminescent animal lanterns, explore newly added pathways and stroll through the popular tunnel of lights flashing to holiday music. Advanced reservations are required for both members and guests. More info
Palm Springs International Film Awards Canceled, Festival Goes On
UPDATE: The Palm Springs International Film Society has announced that the Film Awards will not take place this year on Thursday, January 6, 2022 due to the recent spike in COVID cases and out of an abundance of caution to ensure the health and safety of the honorees, patrons, and staff. The screening portion of the Palm Springs International Film Festival will go on, taking place January 7 through January 17, 2022 and will require proof of vaccination and the wearing of a mask. More info
Several LGBTQ Films will be featured at the festival, under the categories of “Queer Cinema” and “Gayla!” when you are browsing the screenings. From No Straight Lines: The Rise of Queer Comics (USA) to the hidden desires of The Swimmer (Israel) and several more, the festival has chosen LGBTQ films that are poignant, heartfelt and insightful. We’ve got a roundup of these and more here: Learn more
Save the Date: Info-A-Go-Go
On Friday, January 28, 2022 from 3:00–6:00 p.m., The LGBTQ Center of the Desert presents their annual Info-A-Go-Go at the Compass Rose Ballroom at Margaritaville Resort Palm Springs. This is a one stop shop for all things LGBTQ+ in the desert, a sort of Welcome Wagon for our snow-birds, new residents, retirees, as well as folks that have been here awhile. Come see all that our amazing community has to offer to get plugged-in and involved. If you’d like to be an exhibitor for Info-A-Go-Go, registration must be completed by January 14, 2022. January’s Center Social, sponsored by KGAY 106.5, will also take place on January 28 at the Compass Rose Patio from 5:00–7:00 p.m. More info
Holiday Schedule for Programs @The Center
Some programs at the LGBTQ Center of the Desert will have holiday breaks:
- Women’s Chat: Will meet every Thursday in December via ZOOM
- Who Cares: Will meet every Friday via Zoom inc. Dec 24/31
- Men’s Chat: Will meet Dec 17 via ZOOM. No group on Dec 24/31
- Knit Together: Will meet Dec 15/20 & 22. No group on Dec 27/29
- 50+ FIT via ZOOM on Mondays: Will meet Dec 20. No class Dec 27
- 50+ FIT in-Person on Tuesdays: Will meet Dec 21. No class Dec 28
- Prostate Cancer Support Group: No meeting on Dec 28
- Chair Yoga: Will meet Dec 16/23. No class Dec 30
- Check out ALL The Center’s programs here.
Counseling Over 60
Anxiety, depression and isolation needn’t be a part of life. The Center offers many ways to connect, and specifically offers a cognitive-behavioral in-person therapy program for late life depression at no cost to eligible clients age 60+ Call Mike Martin for details: 760-416-7790 ext. 3
Christmas with the Crawfords
The Desert Rose Playhouse presents Christmas With The Crawfords through December 26. We find Ms. Crawford prepping for her infamous 1940’s Christmas Eve radio broadcast, with Christina and Christopher in tow. The show is a 90 minute parade of famous movie stars dropping by unannounced to sing, dance, and generally toss each other around. You know the gang: Hedda Hopper, Ann Miller, Baby Jane Hudson, Judy Garland, Gloria Swanson, Ethel Merman, Carmen Miranda, Mae West and even the Andrews Sisters. All seats get cocktail service before and during shows! Get tickets
Here’s a glance ahead at local productions taking the stage soon after the New Year!
- The Mountaintop from Dezart Performs, Jan. 14–23
- Life X 3 from CVRep, Jan. 25–Feb. 6.
- Always, Patsy Cline from Desert Theatreworks, Jan. 7–Feb. 6
- Les Miserables from Palm Canyon Theatre, Jan. 28–Feb. 13
- Artificial Morality from Desert Ensemble Theatre Company, Jan. 21–30
- Mid-Century Moderns from Desert Rose Playhouse, Jan. 19–Feb. 19
🥳 New Year’s Eve Preview 🥂
Here’s a taste of the choices you have for ringing in the New Year in Greater Palm Springs!
- Agua Caliente Casinos’ Light it Up: Three parties at each of the Agua Caliente Casinos: Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, and Cathedral City, with live entertainment, food trucks, indoor and outdoor dance parties.
- Streetbar will have party favors, tasty food, a midnight champagne toast, and as always, no cover charge.
- Oscar’s presents A Dragasaur’s New Year’s Eve, with Gypsy, Sherry Vine, Varla Jean Merman, and Heklina.
- Chill Bar has DJ Lee Dagger of Bimbo Jones, with Go-Go men, party favors, and champagne toast.
- One Eleven Bar has a New Year’s Eve celebration with Vanity Halston, admission includes champagne, lite bites, and a show.
- The Amigo Room at the Ace Hotel has DJ Cut Chemist spinning funk, soul, disco and boogie, plus special surprise guests.
- The Roost Lounge has a Gennine Jackson Dinner Show, then Disco 54 with hosts Anita Rose and Alexander Rodriguez with performances, favors, trivia, appetizers, and a toast.
- V Wine Lounge has Bill Lohnes performing, exciting cocktails, delightful wine selection and yummy bites.
- Eight4Nine has Keisha D and Hearts of Soul performing.
- Barracks Bar has a New Year’s Eve Bash by Megawoof, featuring beefy Go-Go’s and very special guest DJs Catz ‘n Dogz.
- The Purple Room Supper Club has 3 seatings with performances by Rose Mallett and Sharon Sills, with party favors and champagne toast at the last seating.
- The Saguaro presents Drag Me to 2022, a disco gala with comedy, disco, holiday surprises and treats for all, hosted by Miss Rusty Waters.
- AsiaSF Palm Springs celebrates their return and introduces the Ladies of Asia SF, plus two New Year’s countdowns and sumptuous hors d’oeuvres, signature cocktails and more.
Boozehounds New Year’s Eve Party
Boozehounds invites you to “Follow the Call of the Disco Ball” for a New Year’s Eve unlike any other. Starting at 8:00 p.m., their space will transform to the Era of Studio 54 for a night of 70’s glamour and disco to ring in the New Year in retro style. Dress to impress and dance the night away with a special guest DJ Chris DeJesus. Get tickets
🔥 Listen to KGAY 106.5 on Monday morning, December 27, when Gay Desert Guide Brad Fuhr will be joining morning show host John Taylor to give away a pair of passes to Boozehounds’ New Year’s Eve Party!
Brothers of the Desert Legacy Gala: A Mask’d Ball
Each New Year’s Eve, Brothers of the Desert showcases a fun-filled Legacy Gala, featuring great food, music, dancing, silent auction, and a champagne toast. This dinner and fundraiser takes place on Friday, December 31 at 8:00 p.m. at Margaritaville Resort in Palm Springs and masquerade attire is encouraged. Proceeds go to support the mission of Brothers of the Desert and their focus on building a stronger community of Black Gay men and allies in the Coachella Valley and beyond, and the event is open to anyone who supports this mission. Get tickets.
It’s Hip to be KGAY!
Have you checked out our new KGAY logo merchandise? We’ve got t-shirts, hoodies, tank tops and more in a variety of styles, and that’s just the beginning. How about a KGAY case for your phone? Coasters for your coffee table? Magnet for your fridge? #ILoveGayPalmSprings merch is available too! Check out the travel mug, tote bag, throw pillow…and much more. Shop Now
- Winter Wonderettes presented by Desert Theatreworks
Dec. 3–23 at Indio Performing Arts Center
- Ross Mathews Presents Dragtastic Bubbly Brunch
Sun. Dec. 26 at 12:00 p.m. at The Bourbon Room in Los Angeles
- Light It Up 2022 New Year’s Eve
Fri. Dec. 31 at Agua Caliente Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, & Cathedral City
- Boozehounds New Year’s Eve Party
Fri. Dec. 31 Travel back to the era of Studio 54
- Palm Springs International Film Festival 2022
Jan. 6–17, 2022 at various venues in Palm Springs and Cathedral City
- The Mountaintop presented by Dezart Performs
Jan. 14–23, 2022
- Modernism Week 2022
Feb. 17–27, 2022 at various locations throughout Greater Palm Springs
Welcome New Partner!
John White Real Estate Group listens to their clients to ensure they can deliver what you are looking for. With millions of dollars in real estate sold in Palm Springs, they have many happy customers, are respected by industry peers, and are consistently honored among the best of the Coachella Valley. You can expect excellent communication, customer service, and in a word, they are nice! Learn more
- 23 Christmas Songs by LGBTQ+ Artists to Make the Yuletide Gay
- Asia SF Palm Springs Reopens in 2022
- Modernism Week 2022: Design Buffs Will Find Plenty of Eye Candy
- 15 Ways to Explore Greater Palm Springs From Foodies to the Outdoors
- Hiking With T: The Lykken Trail Is Easily Accessible With Great Views and Workout Options
Kitchen 86 is a modern eclectic small plate restaurant and bar located on El Paseo in Palm Desert. Locally owned & using local, organic ingredients, offerings include a tableside cheese wheel pasta, house-made curry, ramens, wood-fired pizzas, plenty of entrees and shareable small plates. Save 30% with our HOT DEAL and get a $50 gift certificate to Kitchen 86 for just $35! Get Your Deal
We also have Hot Deals at Bear Wear, Coachella Valley Coffee Co., Jolene’s Bar & Grill, Monster Shakes, Destination PSP, Grand Central, Il Giardino, Runway, Rick’s Desert Grill, Oscar’s, Thai Smile and more! See All Deals
Listen to KGAY 106.5 over the air, stream it [here], or listen on TuneIn Radio with Alexa or Siri by saying “Play K-GAY 1065 from Tune In Radio.” John Taylor is on mornings 6–10 a.m. and program director Chris Shebel is on afternoons. Our Retro Lunch with DJ Galaxy and DJ Eric Ornelas is now heard on Sundays as the Retro Lunch & Sunday Brunch from 11 a.m.–4 p.m. And Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. through the Holidays, it’s Coachella Valley resident Ross Mathews with his very own radio show!