“Helping others is the best gift ever”, according to DJ Galaxy. And he’ll be helping distribute breakfast Saturday at Oscar’s, among the myriad other contributions he makes to our community. We’re proud to have him on the KGAY airwaves each week for the Retro Lunch and Sunday Brunch.
Happy holidays from the entire team to you and yours! We are going to be home in Palm Springs for Christmas, but hope your travels are safe – whether they be local or through PSP airport. BTW, a reminder that parking at the airport is tough! Take an Uber/Lyft/taxi or “call a friend” to take you there.
Brad Fuhr, your Gay Desert Guide & KGAY 106.5 Palm Springs
P.S. If you’re not getting the weekly “Oasis Insiders” newsletter, please sign up today so we can stay in touch.
DBA Holiday Party at Hunters
The Desert Business Association‘s 2021 Holiday Party will be at Hunters Nightclub on Monday, December 20 from 5:30–7:00 p.m. Network and celebrate the Holiday Season while supporting two local non-profits: Safe Schools LGBTQ Youth Scholarships, and Sanctuary Palm Springs. Bring raffle items, buy raffle tickets, and/or bring gift cards to be provided to residents of Sanctuary Palm Springs! Pre-registration requested. More info
Women’s B.A.M. Salon for December
The LGBTQ Center of the Desert presents B.A.M. Salon (Book and Movie Salon) for women, hosted by Flynn Sylvest and Irma O’Dell on Tuesday, December 21 from 7:00–8:30 p.m. and every 3rd Tuesday, monthly. The group’s purpose is to develop and deepen LGBTQ+ community and connection through stimulating and informative conversations about books and movies that highlight women authors and women’s stories and experiences. This month’s salon will feature the 2018 film Lez Bomb, directed by Jenna Laurenzo. A closeted young woman brings her girlfriend home for Thanksgiving, only to have her coming out efforts thwarted by the unexpected arrival of her male roommate. More info
Holiday Schedule for Programs @The Center
Some programs at the LGBTQ Center of the Desert will have holiday breaks:
- Women’s Chat: Will meet every Thursday in December via ZOOM
- Who Cares: Will meet every Friday via Zoom inc. Dec 24/31
- Men’s Chat: Will meet Dec 17 via ZOOM. No group on Dec 24/31
- Knit Together: Will meet Dec 15/20 & 22. No group on Dec 27/29
- 50+ FIT via ZOOM on Mondays: Will meet Dec 20. No class Dec 27
- 50+ FIT in-Person on Tuesdays: Will meet Dec 21. No class Dec 28
- Prostate Cancer Support Group: No meeting on Dec 28
- Chair Yoga: Will meet Dec 16/23. No class Dec 30
- Check out ALL The Center’s programs here.
Counseling Over 60
Anxiety, depression and isolation needn’t be a part of life. The Center offers many ways to connect, and specifically offers a cognitive-behavioral in-person therapy program for late life depression at no cost to eligible clients age 60+ Call Mike Martin for details: 760-416-7790 ext. 3
Save the Date: Info-A-Go-Go
On Friday, January 28, 2022 from 3:00–6:00 p.m., The LGBTQ Center of the Desert presents their annual Info-A-Go-Go at the Compass Rose Ballroom at Margaritaville Resort Palm Springs. This is a one stop shop for all things LGBTQ+ in the desert, a sort of Welcome Wagon for our snow-birds, new residents, retirees, as well as folks that have been here awhile. Come see all that our amazing community has to offer to get plugged-in and involved. If you’d like to be an exhibitor for Info-A-Go-Go, registration must be completed by January 14, 2022. January’s Center Social, sponsored by KGAY 106.5, will also take place on January 28 at the Compass Rose Patio from 5:00–7:00 p.m. More info
Jazzville: Sacha Boutros Quartet
On Thursday, December 23 at 7:00 p.m., Jazzville Palm Springs presents Sacha Boutros Quartet at the Cascade Lounge inside Agua Caliente Casino in Palm Springs. Heralded for singing in multiple languages, Sacha Boutros is a jazz singer with gorgeous pipes, but it’s her exquisite phrasing, her ability to caress a lyric, her absolute control over her voice that collectively make Sacha into a jazz musician. Cocktails, wine and delicious small bites will be available to order and enjoy while bopping to the tunes of the evening. Get tickets
Wildlights at The Living Desert
WildLights is celebrating 29 years dazzling guests by transforming The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens into a sparkling winter wonderland, recognized in the Top 5 Best Zoo Lights by USA Today. Come to this festive annual tradition and marvel at more than a million colorful, sparkling holiday lights on the following remaining evenings: December 20-24, and 26-30. WildLights guests will encounter a herd of life-size, luminescent animal lanterns, explore newly added pathways and stroll through the popular tunnel of lights flashing to holiday music. Advanced reservations are required for both members and guests. More info
Palm Springs DUI Checkpoint Thursday
The Palm Springs Police Department will hold a DUI Checkpoint on Thursday, December 23 from 9:00 p.m.–3:00 a.m. at an undisclosed location within the city limits. Checkpoint locations are chosen based on a history of DUI crashes and arrests. Drivers charged with DUI face an average of $13,500 in fines and penalties, as well as a suspended license. So yeah, don’t even risk it.
Desert Theatreworks presents the Winter Wonderettes through Thursday, December 23. This seasonal celebration finds the 60’s girl group “The Wonderettes” entertaining at the annual Harper’s Hardware Holiday Party. When Santa turns up missing, the girls use their talent and creative ingenuity to save the holiday party! Featuring a live band and great ’60s versions of holiday classics such as “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town,” “Jingle Bell Rock,” “Run, Rudolph, Run,” and “Winter Wonderland.” Get tickets
Christmas with the Crawfords
The Desert Rose Playhouse presents Christmas With The Crawfords through December 26. We find Ms. Crawford prepping for her infamous 1940’s Christmas Eve radio broadcast, with Christina and Christopher in tow. The show is a 90 minute parade of famous movie stars dropping by unannounced to sing, dance, and generally toss each other around. You know the gang: Hedda Hopper, Ann Miller, Baby Jane Hudson, Judy Garland, Gloria Swanson, Ethel Merman, Carmen Miranda, Mae West and even the Andrews Sisters. All seats get cocktail service before and during shows! Get tickets
Saturdays with Ross Mathews on KGAY!
Ross Mathews continues on KGAY 106.5 and he’s back in the Coachella Valley after a break from taping The Drew Barrymore Show. He has a special holiday show set to air Saturday at 10 a.m. That follows a live broadcast by KGAY morning host John Taylor and members of our team will be at Oscar’s for the annual Christmas morning breakfast for the community – free of charge – from 8-11 a.m.
Ross Mathews’ Bubbly Brunch – Hollywood edition – happens Sunday, December 26th. Deets on the events page!
Saturdays with Ross Mathews is on KGAY 106.5, on the FM dial in the Coachella Valley and streaming worldwide online! Ask your smart speaker to “Play KGAY.”
It’s Hip to be KGAY!
Have you checked out our new KGAY logo merchandise? We’ve got t-shirts, hoodies, tank tops and more in a variety of styles, and that’s just the beginning. How about a KGAY case for your phone? Coasters for your coffee table? Magnet for your fridge? #ILoveGayPalmSprings merch is available too! Check out the travel mug, tote bag, throw pillow…and much more. Shop Now
Western X-Mas Holiday Bear Retreat
CCBC Resort and Western Xposure present a Western X-Mas Holiday Bear Event from Thursday, December 23–Sunday, December 26. This new holiday tradition is a home for the holidays for everyone needing one, whether you have nowhere to go, too many places to go, or just need a year off. Celebrate with your chosen family as you hang naked by the pool, hot tubs, and steam room. Pool parties with great music, Sexy Santa Bar Night at the Barracks, plus a Christmas Potluck, White Elephant Gift Exchange, and competition for best decorated room round out the special planned activities. Get tickets
🥳 New Year’s Eve Preview 🥂
Here’s a taste of the choices you have for ringing in the New Year in Greater Palm Springs!
- Agua Caliente Casinos’ Light it Up: Three parties at each of the Agua Caliente Casinos: Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, and Cathedral City, with live entertainment, food trucks, indoor and outdoor dance parties.
- Streetbar will have party favors, tasty food, a midnight champagne toast, and as always, no cover charge.
- Oscar’s presents A Dragasaur’s New Year’s Eve, with Gypsy, Sherry Vine, Varla Jean Merman, and Heklina.
- Chill Bar has DJ Lee Dagger of Bimbo Jones, with Go-Go men, party favors, and champagne toast.
- One Eleven Bar has a New Year’s Eve celebration with Vanity Halston, admission includes champagne, lite bites, and a show.
- Boozehounds transforms into the era of Studio 54 for a night of disco and dancing, inviting you to “follow the call of the disco ball.”
- The Amigo Room at the Ace Hotel has DJ Cut Chemist spinning funk, soul, disco and boogie, plus special surprise guests.
- The Roost Lounge has a Gennine Jackson Dinner Show, then Disco 54 with hosts Anita Rose and Alexander Rodriguez with performances, favors, trivia, appetizers, and a toast.
- V Wine Lounge has Bill Lohnes performing, exciting cocktails, delightful wine selection and yummy bites.
- Barracks Bar has a New Year’s Eve Bash by Megawoof, featuring beefy Go-Go’s and very special guest DJs Catz ‘n Dogz.
- The Purple Room Supper Club has 3 seatings with performances by Rose Mallett and Sharon Sills, with party favors and champagne toast at the last seating.
- Runway has a Prom Night theme party with hosts “Melba Toasted” and “Mack Diamond,” with dinner, prom pics, disco dance-off, and champagne toast.
- The Saguaro presents Drag Me to 2022, a disco gala with comedy, disco, holiday surprises and treats for all, hosted by Miss Rusty Waters
Brothers of the Desert Legacy Gala: A Mask’d Ball
Each New Year’s Eve, Brothers of the Desert showcases a fun-filled Legacy Gala, featuring great food, music, dancing, silent auction, and a champagne toast. This dinner and fundraiser takes place on Friday, December 31 at 8:00 p.m. at Margaritaville Resort in Palm Springs and masquerade attire is encouraged. Proceeds go to support the mission of Brothers of the Desert and their focus on building a stronger community of Black Gay men and allies in the Coachella Valley and beyond, and the event is open to anyone who supports this mission. Get tickets.
- Winter Wonderettes presented by Desert Theatreworks
Dec. 3–23 at Indio Performing Arts Center
- Light It Up 2022 New Year’s Eve
Fri. Dec. 31 at Agua Caliente Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage, & Cathedral City
- Palm Springs International Film Festival 2022
Jan. 6–17, 2022 at various venues in Palm Springs and Cathedral City
- The Mountaintop presented by Dezart Performs
Jan. 14–23, 2022
- Modernism Week 2022
Feb. 17–27, 2022 at various locations throughout Greater Palm Springs
Listen to KGAY 106.5 over the air, stream it [here], or listen on TuneIn Radio with Alexa or Siri by saying “Play K-GAY 1065 from Tune In Radio.” John Taylor is on mornings 6–10 a.m. and program director Chris Shebel is on afternoons. Our Retro Lunch with DJ Galaxy and DJ Eric Ornelas is now heard on Sundays as the Retro Lunch & Sunday Brunch from 11 a.m.–4 p.m. And Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. through the Holidays, it’s Coachella Valley resident Ross Mathews with his very own radio show!