This is a repeating event09/27/2022 6:00 pm
The Palm Springs Police Department's Community Police Academy
20sep6:00 pm8:30 pmThe Palm Springs Police Department's Community Police Academy 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
The Palm Springs Police Department Community Police Academy is a free interactive course designed to acquaint individuals who are not sworn police officers with the activities of the
The Palm Springs Police Department Community Police Academy is a free interactive course designed to acquaint individuals who are not sworn police officers with the activities of the Police Department. The Community Police Academy is open to adults who live or work in the Greater Palm Springs community. The Community Police Academy does not certify you to become a police officer but it is a required step to be part of our Citizen's On Patrol program.
Participants will be selected on a first-come, first-serve basis. Only those who can commit to attending the full session should apply.
The Community Police Academy will run twice annually for 12 sessions in the winter and fall of each year. Our next Community Police Academy will be on September 20, 2022. The class will meet on select Tuesday nights from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm. Along with the classroom sessions, participants will have the opportunity to attend one ride-along session during the course of the academy.
Community Police Academy Mission:
The mission of the Community Police Academy is to strengthen community partnerships by offering community members the opportunity to interact with our professional staff, increase their understanding of police operations and become ambassadors to the community.
September 20, 2022, through December 6, 2022
- Palm Springs Police Department overview, history, and tour
- Overview of police bureaus and functions
- Recruitment and training
- K-9 overview and demonstration
- Traffic laws, enforcement, and motors demonstration
- Tactical driving and traffic stops
- Firearms and Tasers overview
- Defensive tactics and de-escalation techniques
- Shoot and don’t shoot scenarios
- Crime scene investigations
- Homeless Outreach Street Team overview
- Crime Prevention and community engagement programs and much more!
Community Police Academy participants must meet the following requirements:
- Live or work in the Greater Palm Springs area
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- Certain misdemeanor arrests may disqualify the applicant
- No prior felony convictions
Submit the Community Police Academy Application with the requested documents. After the application is reviewed and deemed acceptable, CPA staff will complete a *Department of Justice criminal history check before an applicant is accepted to the academy.
The application period is from July 25, 2022, until September 9, 2022, until class is full.
How to Apply
There are two ways to obtain an application packet for the Community Police Academy:
1. ONLINE APPLICATION (https://www.palmspringsca.gov/.../citizen-s-police...)
Please email the CPA Team (email@example.com) the following documents after filling out the online application. You will not be able to complete the application without these items:
California Driver’s License or ID Card - Scanned color copy (.jpg or .pdf format).
The ride-along waiver must be completed and submitted with the online application (https://www.palmspringsca.gov/.../77226/637437069768270000)
2. PICK UP APPLICATION: You may pick up a packet at the front counter at the Palm Springs Police Department located at 200 S Civic Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262. Office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
All application packets must have all requested documents and be thoroughly completed. After the application is reviewed, you will be contacted with the outcome and provided further information.
Applications can be submitted online or turned into the Palm Springs Police Department front counter (ATTN: Officer Kenneth Merenda). The front counter is open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
For more questions about the Community Police Academy, please contact the CPA Team:
Email our CPA team (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inquire about the CPA program, submit your application and all associated documents, or to reserve your seat.
(Tuesday) 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Palm Springs Police Academy
200 S Civic Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92262