Secret Gay Codes in Iconic Works of Art!
15nov11:00 am12:15 pmSecret Gay Codes in Iconic Works of Art!11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. & TheMenEvent.com present Secret Gay Codes in Iconic Works of Art! Join us for a virtual Zoom talk that will reveal the
- Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. & TheMenEvent.com present Secret Gay Codes in Iconic Works of Art!
- Join us for a virtual Zoom talk that will reveal the extraordinary secret GAY codes hiding in plain sight in iconic works of art!
- Key artists throughout history, from Michelangelo to Jasper Johns, have used secret gay codes in their work, why is this? An hour-long virtual talk by Ignacio Darnaude, creator of the upcoming documentary series HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT - BREAKING THE GAY CODE IN ART, will reveal iconic works of art in a whole new light. We guarantee that you'll never look at these artists and art in general with the same eyes again.Some of the highlights of this Zoom tour include:
- Artists such as Thomas Eakins, Francis Bacon and Durer managed to portray male nudes during repressive times thanks to thinly-veiled codes
- Paintings with coded cruising scenes, from the Renaissance to modern day front-page news scandals
- Michelangelo sent sexually explicit, allegorical poems and drawings to his beloved Tommaso. It took over 300 years for his codes to be discovered, finally revealing his true feelings.
- Unable to express their love for their same-sex partners openly, Grant Wood ("American Gothic"), Marsden Hartley and many lesbian artists got away with it by using beautifully coded imagery
- During the highly homophobic McCarthy era, Jasper Johns managed to address his sexuality in his work thanks to game-changing codes.
- Plus so much more!
- We need to spread the knowledge of these secret codes to avoid erasing gay history from the collective memory.
- Speaker: Ignacio Darnaude
- Ignacio Darnaude is a writer- film producer based in Los Angeles. After a 25 career in Hollywood's studio system as a producer and marketing executive, he left his positions as Head of International Marketing for Disney and Sony to pursue a passion project, bringing to life the documentary series "HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT - BREAKING THE GAY CODE IN ART". Finding out that many Museum boards are very conservative and reject discussions and exhibitions around gender identity, he launched into a decade-long research process which uncovered an extraordinary story, which has been hidden until now to both the heterosexual and gay communities. His findings will shatter the belief that still exists among the general population and the majority of the art world that same-sex desire is just a footnote in art history and that an artist's homosexuality is irrelevant to his/her work
- .His Zoom talk, will reveal some highlights from his docuseries. It will explain the creative ways and codes used by gay artists to express their same-sex desire during repressive times, and how, in fighting oppression, they revolutionized all visual arts, survived scandals, won landmark battles, spearheaded art movements and transformed mainstream culture every step of the way.
- When will the Zoom invite come?
- The Zoom invite will be sent to your email address at 48hrs, 2hrs and 10 mins before the event. PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM AND SOCIAL FOLDERS IF YOU DON'T SEE IT IN YOUR INBOX. If you do not receive a Zoom invitation by 1hr before the event please get in contact with us.
- What time zone is the event scheduled in?The event is scheduled for 11AM PST (i.e. Palm Springs time). You can watch it in any time zone but please adjust to the time zone you are in.
- No refunds, no exchanges. All sales final
(Sunday) 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Palm Springs 92263