Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present Scandals and Secrets of the Metropolitan Museum Come discover the artworks in the Met that caused scandals and hid
- Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present Scandals and Secrets of the Metropolitan Museum
- Come discover the artworks in the Met that caused scandals and hid secrets, works that shocked and titillated viewers then and now!
- Artists love to titillate their viewers, to come right up to the edge of shocking them—but to keep it all deniable, if possible. Sometimes, however, they cross the line, as John Singer Sargent did with the shoulder straps of Madame X, and cause a scandal. The Met has several artworks that have caused scandals and many more that came close to the line. And this is the tour to find out about them.
- Learn about:
- the bad boys of ancient Greek art
- the slow striptease that led to female nudes
- the way Biblical and mythological stories covered for racy pictures
- the subtle signs that identify scandalous women
- how Courbet shocked Paris with frank naturalism and how a trans painter hid herself in her paintings
- why Madame X created such a scandal
- how Sargent apologized in paint
- and much more, in this entertaining and informative 75 minute romp through the Met's scandals and secrets with Professor Andrew Lear.
- Andrew Lear is a renowned expert on same-sex relations in Greek and Roman antiquity. During his academic career, he taught at Harvard, Pomona College, and NYU. In recent years, he has founded Oscar Wilde Tours, the LGBTQ history and culture tour company and Shady Ladies Tours, the women's history and culture tour company. He is also working with actor/author Stephen Fry on a podcast about the "Scandals and Secrets of London's National Portrait Gallery."
(Saturday) 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Palm Springs 92263