The Fun & Games Dept of Gay Desert Guide and TheMenEvent.com present Oscar Wilde in New York: A Gay Superstar in the Making Trace Oscar Wilde's aesthetic debut in
- The Fun & Games Dept of Gay Desert Guide and TheMenEvent.com present Oscar Wilde in New York: A Gay Superstar in the Making
- Trace Oscar Wilde's aesthetic debut in gilded age New York, and the public and private ways he became famous for more than just being famous
- Can't make the live event? Buy a ticket for the recording and watch the event in your own time! Details in FAQs below.
- By being both a Wilde historian and blogger, lecturer and tour guide, John Cooper has the rare distinction of being able to appeal not only to those merely curious about Oscar Wilde, but also to the most informed Wilde scholar.
- His talk explores a formative period of Wilde's life, long before his dramatic successes in London and Paris, when the Irish poet, dramatist, wit, and eventual gay superstar, spent an entire year in America conducting an extended lecture tour across the continent.
- And nowhere did Wilde spend more time than in New York.
- Based on original and unique research into Wilde and his circle in the New York of the gilded age, join us for a virtual leafy stroll through Madison Square Park, Gramercy Park, and Greenwich Village to trace Oscar Wilde’s aesthetic debut in society and the literary world. Set in an era of fascinating personalities and historic locations, we will encounter people Oscar knew and the places that he visited.
- Oscar Wilde was a part of every character he created who had a secret, so we will also delve behind the superficialities to learn how Wilde’s public and private life was influenced by the aesthetics of the period. And how, in turn, Wilde became arguably the world's first pop star to become more relevant today than he has ever been.
- The world is catching up to Oscar Wilde, come and join us.
- Speaker Bio
- John Cooper is an independent scholar, historian, and lecturer who has spent 30 years in the transatlantic study of Oscar Wilde. He has directing the Victorian Society In America, and is a long-standing member of the U.K.’s Oscar Wilde Society where he serves on the Editorial Board of the Society’s scholarly journal The Wildean.
- Cooper has specialized in Wilde's 1882 lecture tour of North America becoming a consultant to biographers and the media on Wilde’s American experience, and for the last 20 years he has engaged in new and unique research into Oscar Wilde’s time in New York about which he conducts guided tours.
- Historically onlineCooper has moderated the Oscar Wilde discussion groups at both Google and Yahoo, and today is a popular blogger and creator of the noncommercial archive 'Oscar Wilde in America’ which incorporates his work on the historic photographs of Wilde, and a groundbreaking documentary verification of Wilde’s American lecture tour. In 2012 Cooper rediscovered Wilde's essay The Philosophy Of Dress that forms the centerpiece to his book Oscar Wilde On Dress (2013).
- When will the Zoom invite come?
- The Zoom invite will be in the CONFIRMATION EMAIL from your order—IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE IT IN YOUR CONFIRMATION EMAIL PLEASE MESSAGE US IMMEDIATELY. Subsequent to this, the Zoom invite will be sent to your email address at 48hrs, 2hrs, and 10mins before the event. PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM AND SOCIAL FOLDERS IF YOU DO NOT SEE THE ZOOM INVITE IN YOUR INBOX.
- How do tickets for the recording work?
- The event will be recorded and you can buy a ticket for the recording above. If you buy a ticket for the recording you will be emailed automatically a couple of hours after the live event with a link to the recording and a password to access it. It will be available to view for 1 week after the live event. If you do not receive the link to the recording a couple of hours after the live event please email us—sometimes Eventbrite emails can get lost in spam/social folders. If you bought a ticket for the live event but couldn't make it please email us and we will send you the link to the recording.
- What time zone is the event scheduled in?
- The event is scheduled for 2pm EST (i.e. New York time). You can watch it in any time zone but please adjust to the time zone you are in.
(Sunday) 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Palm Springs 92263