Mary Cassatt and American Women Artists of the Gilded Age
06mar11:00 am12:15 pmMary Cassatt and American Women Artists of the Gilded Age11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present Mary Cassatt and American Women Artists of the Gilded Age Come take a deep look at the subversive beauty
- Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present Mary Cassatt and American Women Artists of the Gilded Age
- Come take a deep look at the subversive beauty of artworks by Mary Cassatt and other American Gilded Age Artists.
- Can't make the live event? Buy a ticket for the recording and watch the event in your own time! Details in FAQs below.
- American women artists often get dismissed for depicting traditional scenes of domestic life. But is there more to that picture? In this talk, we dig deeper to consider the context, techniques, and artist backgrounds when taking a closer look at painters and sculptors of the Gilded Age. While Mary Cassatt left the U.S. in frustration to make her career in Paris, Cecilia Beaux, Bessie Potter Vonnoh, and a number of other painters and sculptors stayed home. We will consider why these artists are underrated and resuscitate the joy and beauty of their work with a renewed appreciation of the challenges they faced and rules they broke.
- Speaker Bio
- Rena Tobey, American Art Historian
- Rena’s greatest passion is making art accessible, invigorating, insightful, and fun. She teaches art history at NYU's School for Professional Studies, conducts lively, interactive tours of museum collections, and provides talks on American art for community organizations. Just for fun, she has created Artventures!® Game--a cheeky party game on the adventures of art and art history.
(Saturday) 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Palm Springs 92263