This is a repeating eventnovember 7, 2020 5:00 pm
Like never before, the Coachella Valley Unites in Support of the LGBTQ Community Gay Desert Guide and Palm Springs
Like never before, the Coachella Valley Unites in Support of the LGBTQ Community
Gay Desert Guide and Palm Springs Pride invite you to light up the night for our virtual pride weekend in November. The best display of lights - in pink or rainbow - could win you air travel for two on Alaska Airlines and other great prizes. Get your pink or rainbow lights today - locally or online and plan your light up the night display. Have it ready to show off on pride weekend and look for details on the Palm Springs Pride Facebook. Light Up The Night - our way of showing our pride in 20-20 with Palm Springs Pride and Gay Desert Guide!
Those participating will join thousands of other private home-based light ups across the valley to take part in a new virtual lighting ceremony.
On Pride weekend November 6 and 7, organizers are calling on the community to light up their homes, and businesses with pink or rainbow lights, to foster a spirit of community and solidarity and affirm their support for LGBTQ equality, equity, and diversity. Light Up the Night will also honor those impacted by COVID-19, to remember loved ones lost and impacted. Together we will create a glowing show of community support and hope for a future free of the darkness coronavirus brings to our lives.
“This is a great way for us to continue supporting measures to combat the pandemic while embracing vulnerable members of the LGBTQ community who are isolated in non-supportive environments. For youth and seniors, this is an important time to be there for each other. Lighting up our homes we can show unity and foster a spirit of community,” said Ron deHarte, president and CEO of Palm Springs Pride.
“We see “Light Up the Night” as a way to connect with neighbors - both known and unknown - as the lights will act as a symbol of LGBTQ solidarity. Our businesses will also be encouraged to participate and let locals and visitors alike know that they are supportive of the LGBTQ diverse communities in Greater Palm Springs,” added Brad Fuhr, founder and e-publisher of GayDesertGuide.LGBT, the presenting sponsor of the event. “We will be encouraging everyone to post their photos on Facebook and Instagram with the #ILoveGayPalmSprings and #PSPride hashtags so we can share them with the world!"
Light Up the Night will also honor those impacted by COVID-19, to remember loved ones lost and impacted. Together we will create a glowing show of community support and hope for a future free of the darkness coronavirus brings to our lives.
- During these difficult times, Light Up the Night will send a message that we are there for one another.
How It Works
- Valley residents are invited to take a photo of their decorative pink or rainbow lights display at home or business and submit the photo beginning Monday, November 2nd after 5pm.
- Here is the link to the contest Photo Submission page on Facebook: https://contest.app.do/pg/light-up-the-night-photo-contest-2020
- Interested folks have until 11:59pm this Friday, November 6h to submit their photo.
- We are encouraging everyone to post their photos on Facebook and Instagram with the #ILoveGayPalmSprings and #PSPride hashtags so we can share them with the world!"
- On Saturday 10 photos selected by Palm Springs Pride and Gay Desert Guide will be showcased on the contest page via GDG and PSP FB pages.
- Everyone can vote for their favorite photos from the 10 chosen. The photo voting contest will be open all Pride weekend.
- On Monday we will determine the winner based on the public’s votes. The two top vote getters will win a pair of air travel from Alaska Airlines. Other great prizes include a gift card to Grocery Outlet and Pride Party Packs.
(Friday) 5:00 pm - 11:59 pm
Various Locations throughout the Coachella Valley
Coachella Valley Palm Springs area 92264