Desert X 2021 will Open March 12 through May 16 in the Coachella Valley Desert X, is the international art exhibition that activates California's desert landscape through
- Desert X 2021 will Open March 12 through May 16 in the Coachella Valley
- Desert X, is the international art exhibition that activates California's desert landscape through site responsive installations by renowned international contemporary artists.
- Curated by Artistic Director Neville Wakefield and Co-curator César García-Alvarez, the exhibition will explore the desert as both a place and idea, acknowledging the realities of people who reside here and the political, social, and cultural contexts that shape their stories.
- The site-specific exhibition will again be free and out-of-doors, providing a safe visitor experience, while also providing artists with a rare opportunity to present their work to a wide audience at a time when it is challenging to exhibit art in the same way as before the global pandemic took hold.
- Curated by returning Artistic Director Neville Wakefield with Co-curator César García-Alvarez, the 2021 edition will present newly-commissioned projects that build on themes explored in previous iterations as well as look deeper at the histories, realities, and possibilities of the Coachella Valley and its many communities. An exciting roster of international artists are creating projects that imagine the desert as both a place and an idea and attempt to create meaningful dialogues between regional and global desert experiences.
- This year, the organization is prioritizing a safe and free visitor experience. “Desert X 2021 is uniquely positioned to provide a model to experience art safely,” said Desert X Executive Director Jenny Gil. “Open-air sites will allow for an adaptable, safe and socially-distanced experience.” Prior to the opening, the organization will release a Desert X visitor guide in compliance with state, county and CDC regulations that will contain up-to-date guidelines and requirements to safely experience the exhibition and the public programs. An enhanced digital experience is planned so that visitors from around the world can explore the exhibition from home.
March 12 (Friday) - May 16 (Sunday)
Various Locations throughout the Coachella Valley
Coachella Valley Palm Springs area 92264