Desert Stonewall Democrats August Virtual Membership Meeting
17aug5:45 pm7:00 pmDesert Stonewall Democrats August Virtual Membership Meeting5:45 pm - 7:00 pm
Desert Stonewall Democrats August Virtual Membership Meeting presents Gerrymandering - Not Just a Drag Name! Every 10 years, following the census, states go through the process of drawing new
- Desert Stonewall Democrats August Virtual Membership Meeting presents Gerrymandering - Not Just a Drag Name!
- Every 10 years, following the census, states go through the process of drawing new district boundaries ostensibly to equalize representation on the basis of population. In many states, the district lines are drawn by the legislature and both Democratic and Republican legislatures have taken advantage of the opportunity to draw new boundaries that favor their own party. This practice when taken to extremes is known today as "gerrymandering" though it existed long before acquiring that name.
- As a result of a voter initiative, the Voters First Act (Prop 11) in 2008, the independent California Citizens Redistricting Commission finalized the new districts that have been in effect in California since 2011. Using data from the 2020 Census, the Commission will redraw districts later this year to last through 2031. Twelve other states use an independent redistricting commission while seven use a bipartisan or non-partisan commission (Iowa has a unique approach). Four additional states will use an independent commission for the first time in 2011.
- That leaves 25 states with partisan control of redistricting. We may not be able to do much to help there, but you do have a role to play in the California redistricting process. Join us to learn how you can help.
- Click here for the agenda
- Please Note: Our Zoom meetings are recorded to allow those who cannot attend to view them on our private YouTube channel. If you do NOT wish to be identified in the recording, please turn off your camera and use first name only when you log on.
- A small donation for the meeting from those who choose to, will help to keep DSD financially stable and in a better position to support our candidates. Even better, if you are not already a member or need to renew, please join us with a membership contribution instead.
- If you have any questions or comments about the meeting you can reach us at: email@example.com or (760) 260-8104 (Voicemail).
(Tuesday) 5:45 pm - 7:00 pm
Palm Springs 92263