Boston’s MFA - One of the Greatest LGBTQ Museums!
07mar11:00 am12:15 pmBoston’s MFA - One of the Greatest LGBTQ Museums!11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present Boston’s MFA - One of the Greatest LGBTQ Museums! Come explore one of the world's great LGBT art collections
- Gay Desert Guide's Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present Boston’s MFA - One of the Greatest LGBTQ Museums!
- Come explore one of the world's great LGBT art collections at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts with Professor Andrew Lear!
- Boston is known for its Puritanism, but somehow, the Museum of Fine Arts never got the memo. In art circles, it is well known that Boston’s MFA has the world’s greatest collection of LGBT-themed Classical Greek and Roman art. It is less well known that the MFA’s collections are extraordinarily rich in LGBT art of other cultures as well.
- On this tour fun and informative tour, we will discover:
- the male/male couple that were ancient Athens’ Uncle Sam
- the god Priapus and what he did with his huge appendage
- the sexiest Jesus of the Italian Renaissance
- 19th century women artists and their 'Boston marriages'
- painter John Singer Sargent’s secret obsession
- and a gender-queer person we bet you’ve never noticed in a famous impressionist canvas!
- Come on our tour, and you will never see the MFA the same way again!
- Speaker Bio
- Andrew Lear is a renowned expert on same-sex relations in Greek and Roman antiquity. During his academic career, he taught at Harvard, Pomona College, and NYU. In recent years, he has founded Oscar Wilde Tours, the LGBTQ history and culture tour company and Shady Ladies Tours, a women's history and culture tour company. He is also working with actor/author Stephen Fry on a podcast about the "Scandals and Secrets of London's National Portrait Gallery."
(Sunday) 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Palm Springs 92263