A Gay Romp Through Four Centuries of Opera
25apr11:00 am12:15 pmA Gay Romp Through Four Centuries of Opera11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Gay Desert Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present A Gay Romp Through Four Centuries of Opera. Renowned opera critic and historian Fred Plotkin
- Gay Desert Fun & Games Dept. and TheMenEvent.com present A Gay Romp Through Four Centuries of Opera.
Renowned opera critic and historian Fred Plotkin gives exciting talk on opera at its most joyously queer!
Can't make the live event? Buy a ticket for the recording and watch the event in your own time! See FAQs below for more info.
Opera has been about passion, drama, politics, passion, sex and more sex since its creation in 1597. It has been a “safe zone” since its beginnings in terms of personal expression of love and eros even in the face of censorship from churches and governments. This censorship, in fact, emboldened composers and librettists to be even more creative in depicting the passions of the mind and the human heart.
- Fred Plotkin, universally regarded as one of the world’s foremost opera experts as well as a passionate speaker, will explore how sexuality in all of its expressions merged with politics and supreme musicianship to make opera the most radical of all the performing arts. To paraphrase the great Anna Russell: “You can do anything you want in opera so long as you sing it!”
- Among the topics Plotkin will address are depictions in opera of gender fluidity and the degree to which it is an element in the creation, story-telling and performance of opera. Among the operas he will explore are L’Incoronazione di Poppea, Giulio Cesare, Le Nozze di Figaro, La Clemenza di Tito, Fidelio, Roberto Devereux, Tannhäuser, Die Walküre, Un Ballo in Maschera, Don Carlo, Die Fledermaus, Der Rosenkavalier, Lulu, Billy Budd, Death in Venice and As Is.
- Speaker Bio
- Fred Plotkin is renowned for his expertise in opera as well as food and wine and the joyful passion with which he shares his knowledge. He is the author of the classic Opera 101: A Complete Guide to Learning and Loving Opera and six cookbooks. He has worked at La Scala and the Metropolitan Opera and spoken in most of the top opera venues in the world from San Francisco to Salzburg. He is the opera expert for New York Times Journeys and hosts Fred Plotkin on Fridays, a weekly program of cultured conversations on www.idagio.com
- When will the Zoom invite come?
- The Zoom invite will be sent to your email address at 48hrs, 2hrs, and 10mins before the event. PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM AND SOCIAL FOLDERS IF YOU DO NOT SEE THE ZOOM INVITE IN YOUR INBOX.
- What time zone is the event scheduled in?
- The event is scheduled for 2pm EST (i.e. New York time). You can watch it in any time zone but please adjust to the time zone you are in
- .Will the event be recorded and available to view later?
- Yes the event will be recorded and you can buy a ticket for the recording above. If you buy a ticket for the recording you will be emailed automatically after the event with a link to the recording, available to view for 1 week after receiving the link. If you bought a ticket for the live event but couldn't make it please email us and we will send you the link to the recording.
(Sunday) 11:00 am - 12:15 pm
Palm Springs 92263