As we learn in his official bio, “Born and raised in Normal, Illinois, Winston Gieseke began writing and performing at a young age to escape the banality of a healthy Midwestern upbringing. He relocated to Los Angeles at eighteen and received a degree in screenwriting from California State University, Northridge, three years later.
Kickstarting his career as a television writer, he penned episodes for Wildfire and Hollywood Off-Ramp as well as the made-for-cable movie Romantic Comedy 101, which starred Tom Arnold and Joey Lawrence. He also composed tantalizing copy for adult entertainment companies and served as editor in chief of both Men and Freshmen magazines before honing his journalistic skills as managing editor of The Advocate.
Winston performs live at M Bar in Hollywood, CA, November 19, 2011, as videoed by Nate Holbrook. The song Gorgeous was written by Idina Menzel and Dave Bassett. Find his YouTube channel here.
He spent two years in Berlin, which he exploited at the now-defunct ExpatsInBerlin.us, and is currently a senior editor at Palm Springs Life. He has also edited a number of anthologies, including Indecent Exposures, Daddy Knows Best, Straight No More, Blowing Off Class, Whipping Boys, Out of Uniform, and the Lambda Literary Award finalist Team Players.”
Winston says, “PS I love you because…”
- There’s always something to do. With great events like the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival and worthwhile parties like Red Dress/Dress Red — not to mention plenty of concerts, theater, and, of course, the Palm Desert Food & Wine Festival — there is never a dull moment.
- There’s a small-town feel with plenty of big city tolerance. Having grown up in the Midwest, I appreciate the laid-back vibe of the people here. But after living in Los Angeles for more than two decades, I have little patience for the basic, provincial thinking often found in Smalltown, USA. People in Palm Springs are easygoing and friendly but open-minded and accepting. Which is amazing.
- There are plenty of diverse food options. From Birba to Johannes to Catalan, there is always something delicious and interesting to eat.
- There are many great performance venues. In the less than two years that I’ve been here, I’ve had the pleasure of doing several shows at Alibi Azul with Harmonic Voices, appearing in Desert Theatreworks’ production of A Christmas Carol, and singing the National Anthem twice for the City of Rancho Mirage.
- The views never get old. I’m so grateful to live in a place where I can start my day with a smile just by taking the dogs out in the morning and looking up at the mountains.
Wow, Winston. So cool! And I loved uncovering so much more about you with the help of Google, of course!
It's great to have you here with us in the desert. Thanks for participating in “PS I love you because…”.
For much more about this fascinating man, visit winstongieseke.com.
Want to be featured in the “PS I love you because…” column?
To be considered, email me (Nicholas Snow, PromoHomoTV@gmail.com) your top five answers (they can be short or long) to the statement, “PS I love you because…” and/or “PS I love you because I enjoy…”, along with two or three biographical paragraphs. Also, send some photos of things you love about the area including, ideally, you doing something you love in the area. Your submission does not guarantee publication. Thanks!